Copycat Neiman Marcus/Mackenzie Childs Christmas Garland


Copycat Neiman Marcus/Mackenzie Childs Christmas Garland

We had been living in our home about two years when I decided to ‘up my game’ and invest in fresh holiday decor. We have a huge front porch, and my goal was to create a ‘statement piece’ using durable garland.   My inspiration was taken from the Neiman Marcus catalog, a Mackenzie-Childs’ signature checkered design that cost $350 ($175/yard). (FIGURE 1).  



The porch railings required about 17 yards (FIGURE 2) but my frugalness would never allow me to
spend $3000 on garland.









Pinterest was my ‘go to’ source for articles describing how and where to save money and I would like to share how I fabricated this beauty for about $17.00/yard.  As a bonus there were enough extra supplies to make a new 32” Christmas wreath.  References, supplies, and vendors are listed at end of article. 

Calculating Garland Yardage
This article has been simplified illustrating left side of porch only.

For each section, hang a piece of string between two posts. (My depth was 18”).  This length of string is called ‘swag length.’   Example = 82 inches.  (FIGURE 3). 

Repeat for each section.  

The largest expense was decorative wired ribbon, and I quickly learned the wider the ribbon, the more expensive. My design called for five distinct ribbons in various widths, patterns, textures, and 
sheen. (FIGURE 4).

.
The genuine Mackenzie-Childs’ checkered ribbon cost $68/10 yards.   I splurged on a copycat at $57 for 20 yards.  To keep the budget intact, I chose to make the two additional wide ribbons by combining several, thinner piecesAfter fabrication they averaged less than $2.00/yard.
Using coupons and clearance sales I purchased the two 2 ½” wired ribbons for about $1.00/yard. 

For the four ribbons, ten yards of each were purchased.                                                                     


The garland was a steal at $3.27/3 yards.  However, it was only 8” wide, and I needed at least a 12” width.  The proportions weren’t right.   For example, the Neiman Marcus garland was 18” wide.  Much of the reason it is so spectacular is because it has a wide sturdy frame.  To create what was needed from this bargain.  I purchased double the amount of length needed (34 yards).  Then, starting with two 8” wide sections, the wires were twisted together to create one solid, 14” wide rugged frame.              Total cost + S & H = $48.00.

The green magnolia leaves were purchased half-price at Hobby Lobby.  They came as a 2 yard garland piece so I simply cut off the leaves and hot melt glued them where needed. Although the red fruit in the Mackenzie Childs’ picture looked luscious, I used shatterproof ornaments because they were abundant, inexpensive, and easily revamped  using cranberry spray paint.   The ornaments, an old wreath used to harvest the red berries, and two big bags of white ‘whispies’ (FIGURE 5) were purchased at Goodwill.  I spray painted the “whispies” to resemble gold-leaf leaves.

 Assembly of “Ornament Clusters”  (FIGURE 6)

Sew or glue together the four different ribbons. (FIGURE 7)  


Spray paint ornaments.  I hung the ornaments in a box and sprayed several at a time. (FIGURE 8)


Hand-paint any existing ornament contours to highlight their shapes using a Sharpie (gold) oil-based pen. (FIGURE 9)


Using finger protectors to avoid burns (FIGURE 10), glue leaves, “whispies”, and ornaments to ribbons.  

Set clusters aside. 





Cluster Locations   (FIGURE 11)


Decide how many clusters are needed for each swag length.  Then, divide by one number higher.
For example, if you want 3 clusters, divide by 4.
In my example, 82” divided by 4 = 20.5”
I also had a cluster on each post. 

“Decorative Garland”
Clamp garland to work table.  (FIGURE 12)  

Using floral wire, attach checkered ribbon to green garland where ornament cluster will be placed. 
Glue cluster on top.
Glue leaves, whispies, berries in between each cluster. (FIGURE 13)


Finished Handiwork
Clear LED battery-operated lights were placed after garland was hung.  (To save money I attempted to use older clear lights but they clearly washed out the garland).  (FIGURES 14, 15, 16)  



Christmas Wreath (FIGURE 17)


Supplies/Vendors/Cost             

Various ribbons   Ribbon Bazaar, Craft Outlet, Ribbon Town on EBay              $120.00
Faux, Canadian Pine Garland      Consumer Crafts         $48.00
Magnolia Leaves     Hobby Lobby      $64.00
White “Whispies”   Goodwill            $20.00
Red Berries (from old wreath)   Goodwill $2.00
Ornaments         Goodwill   $20.00
Spray paint   Michaels        $6.00
Sharpie Paint Pen    Michaels     $4.00
Glue gun and sticks   Walmart     $10.00
Finger protectors     Amazon      $7.00
Battery- operated clear lights   Walmart       $30.00
Cutting shears
Floral wire

Pinterest Articles

“Shopping at Goodwill”
“Thrifting”
“Making Wide Ribbon on a Budget”
“How to Save Money on Craft Supplies”
“How I Shop at Hobby Lobby on a Budget”
“10 Ways to Save Money at Michael’s”
“After-Season Clearance Sales”

Comments

  1. Wow! Just WOW!. It looks even more beautiful when seen in person! A beautiful, beautiful, swag that I will use many ideas to do my own...but they'll be inside! Thanks so much for showing us how to do it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment